Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Hueco Tanks




Last weekend I went to the Hueco Tanks for an extended weekend. Pat, Eric, and Zach came and we camped out at the HRR. We got there around 1 AM in the morning and set up camp. In the morning we woke up and I took those guys out on tour as well as a few of Fish's friends from Phoenix. I made my first income in months, $30 for going climbing. We went to the Gunks to warm-up and I got on Rumble In The Jungle, a cool cave problem that I've been working for a few years now. I was able to repeat all the moves, but didn't make any progress. After the Gunks we moved down to the Maze where I didn't climb too much but we fooled around on Slim Pickens. After that I repeated Jigsaw Puzzle and had to call it a day. The skin on my fingertips just isn't used to be used anymore from all the climbing at Priest Draw. On day 2 I decided to take a rest day because I can't climb 4 days in a row in Hueco, whether it's because of lack of skin or just getting tired. I took the guys out on an exclusive tour of West Mountain. We hit up the Round Room, Bodysnatcher, and Between The Sheets. Day 3 we had reservations to get on North Mountain. The reservation system changed this year. Reservations can be made with a Texas State Parks Pass instead of a credit card, which helps a lot with the bullshit of refunds. The only downside is the reservations expire at 10 AM instead of noon, so you either have to get over there by 10 or call the park and tell them to hold your reservations. We warmed up at the top of the chains and then hit up Nobody Here Gets Out Alive, and classic juggy roof. Then we headed over to the Terminator area so I could climb on Predator. I met up with an old friend named Vijay that I hadn't seen in a few years. We ended up trying Predator once before determining that it was a chosspile. We got on the Governator, and that climb is amazing. It climbs way different than it looks. It has this huge drop knee that sucks your body into the wall. Zach climbed on Serious Attitude Problem and almost finished it. After that we hit up Ghetto Simulator and hiked out. On our last day we warmed up at the Summit Boulders. We climbed a lot of classic easy warm ups before going back to serious attitude problem. Zach was looking strong and almost did it until he tore a huge flapper on one of his fingers. Then we met Matt over at Martini Roof. He was working on Left Martini and getting pretty close. I climbed on Right Martini for a little bit and did all the moves again, but by then me skin was shot. I was feeling strong through the beginning however. Eric and Pat made good work on Baby Martini but seeing as it was 4th day on for them they were pretty trashed. We hit up T-bone Shuffle with Nikkias, and then Melon Patch before doing the drive back to Flagtown in the dark. We got back and I didn't even end up going to sleep because it was pretty late already and I had a Stats test in the morning. Time to return to reality unfortunately.

No comments: