Sunday, November 2, 2008

Groom Creek

So I went to Groom Creek again this weekend seeing as the temps were a bit lower than last time I was there. I had a lazy morning on Saturday killing time so as to get there when it was cooling off. I arrived around 3 PM and found the campsite before it got dark, and then headed over to the boulders. I warmed up by wandering through the boulders and climbing whatever looked good in my trail shoes. I climbed on this boulder with a series of jug flakes running all over it in different directions. I repeated Moonstone after doing some warm-up climbs. I had my sights set on finishing up New Moon, or Eclipse as most people call it. I dispatched it first try and was surprised at how easy it felt. I then set my sights on the link-up of Moonstone and Eclipse. I was able to do most of the moves, and my skin wore too thin once I started to figure out the feet for the throw into moonstone. I went and climbed several easy problems as daylight was fading. I wish I could have climbed more but my skin was so trashed at that point, so I headed back to camp. The weather for camping was perfect down in Prescott National Forest, as it is about 1,000 feet lower than Flagstaff. I slept for nearly 11 hrs that night. As I was heading out in the morning to go climbing I received a phone call from my friend Kody. He was heading up to Kelly Canyon from Phoenix and was near Camp Verde when he called. I decided that my trashed skin would appreciate sandstone much more than the harsh granite so I met him there. When I pulled up it seemed like half of Flagstaff was at Kelly Canyon. I went down there and climbed a few warm-up problems in my trail shoes. We went down to Transversity which Kody repeated while I learned the moves. I gave it a few goes where I fell at the crux. Then it started raining to the point that we couldn't climb anymore so I headed back home to allow my skin to grow for the Anvil Boulders in a few days.

No comments: