Thursday, January 1, 2009

Dayton Pocket/ Laurel Falls


Chris Hluchan and I headed out from DFW a few days after Christmas. We drove 800 miles to get to Chattanooga, TN. We tried to camp at Chester Frost State Park, but were turned around because we were too late to register for camping. We stayed at an RV park that night. The next day we went to Dayton Pocket/ Laurel Falls to climb on this massive roof that I've been hearing about. The roof is probably about the size of Mars Roof in Flag and has a lot of similar holds. I started the day off climbing on Reconciliation which starts part way out the roof and does some big moves on jugs. Then I climbed on Sandblasted which climbs from the right side of the roof out to the left side. It's probably 25 moves long. I was able to get through the crux, but failed at the end. I had to do the crux differently than the standard beta because of my tweaked right knee. After that I tried Honeycomb Roof which started in a decent undercling partway back in the cave and climbed out slightly left into the start of Reconciliation. I was able to do most of the moves. At the end of the day we climbed on Torpedo which climbs cool crimps out a long rail. I almost did this climb but was too tired to finish it. I couldn't do the end the obvious way so I ended climbing with toe hooks first. I'll have to get back here in the future because this place is amazing.

No comments: