Monday, November 23, 2009

Some more from Willow




First Ascent of Wapiti Cave

Elk Graveyard Project

I climbed at Willow Canyon on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Sam did a new highball line called Waterfall on the left side of the Blimp Roof with a heinously sloping landing. I put up a new climb called Revenge of the Holly on the right side of the Blimp Roof. Revenge of the Holly climbs a tall technical face with a flat landing(after 5+ days of effort to level the hillside). I'm getting closer to sticking the throw on the right exit for the roof. The lip exit starting at the throw is a feasible project, but starting all the way under the roof and climbing into the throw may be futuristic. I climbed in a new cave on Saturday. I established a short roof climb in the center called Wapiti Cave. Eric and I started working a new line from the right that climbs out 2 and 3 finger pockets on a horizontal roof called the Elk Graveyard Project. This project has a similar difficulty and style to the climbs on Mars Roof. The climb is sharp, but perhaps it will clean up a bit better with time. I hiked through a few bends in the canyon yesterday searching for new stone. I found plenty of limestone and some sandstone, but I didn't find any spectacular lines. Hueco season is coming up, as well as winter, so development will probably be slow during the next few months.

No comments: