Sunday, June 7, 2009

Maple Canyon

My trip to Maple Canyon is finished. I have been hanging out in Salt Lake City for the past 2 days. I am heading up to Calgary in a matter of hours for a few weeks of sport climbing at Acephale if the weather is good. Eric and I may do a limestone road trip starting in Canada and finishing in Utah with a stop in Wyoming along the way.

I feel like this past month in Utah has taught me how to sport climb. Sport Climbing is a much different game than bouldering. Sport Climbing puts much more emphasis on the science part of climbing. Footwork and Technique play a bigger role in sport climbing in comparison with bouldering. Resting and Recovery are especially important for longer routes such as the cave routes in the Pipe Dream.

I was able to knock off a few projects before leaving Maple including Sluggo in Box Canyon, and The Diggler and La Confianza in the Pipe Dream Cave. La Confianza is the hardest route that I've ever done, but I'm aware now that my sport climbing potential is much more than I originally realized.

No comments: