Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Kelly Canyon

Eric, Pat, and I headed down to Kelly canyon to climb on some Arizona sandstone today. I'm all psyched up on sandstone right now because of Joe's Valley last weekend. I went out there to finish Donkey Punch. We hauled 7 pads down into the canyon so our landing was pretty much bombproof, which was good because I fell off the topout several times. It probably took me 6 or so tries to figure out the top out. Donkey Punch climbs this slightly overhanging face with good edges, and finishes with a hard top out on slopers. I cleaned off the top and chalked up the slopers which were difficult to see when on the climb. To do the top out you have to walk your feet up really high while holding onto the terrible slopers and do a mantle. You're feet are probably fifteen feet off the deck and there is a rock under the landing that can be made safe with enough pads. I was able to finish Donkey Punch just as it was getting dark. After Donkey Punch we climbed on Dope Lounge. That climb is sick. It climbs this 40-45 degree overhang with good holds all the way up. I had done it before, but I was so tired it took me a few tries to repeat. Eric almost finished it, so we'll be heading back when he's not sick and when we have more daylight. I'm really psyched for Kelly Canyon. As we were walking through the canyon I saw a bunch of cool looking lines that I'd like to get on.

No comments: